Palm Springs is a desert resort city located in Riverside County, California, within the Coachella Valley. About a century ago naturalist and travel writer George Wharton James described Palm Springs as having ‘great charms and attractiveness’. Evidently the charms have increased multifold since then but just what are they; let’s take a look:
- Aerial Tramway: Palm Springs boasts the world’s largest rotating tramcar. The ten minute aerial journey up the sheer cliffs of Chino Canyon will leave you absolutely enthralled.
- Arts and Culture: Palm Springs at one time was the favorite getaway spot of famous Hollywood celebrities like Frank Sinatra, Estee Lauder and Bing Crosby and though still visited by celebrities quite often it has now also become the city of numerous festivals, conventions and international events. Must visit spots are the Opera Guild of the Desert, the Annenberg Theater and The Living Desert (featuring an Art Gallery). If you plan your vacation accordingly you could be in Palm Springs in time for the Indian Wells Art Festival and Modernism Week. Worth mentioning is the star studded Palm Springs International Film Festival that is also proudly owned by the city.
- Museums: Palm Springs also has a number of museums to make the historian in you content, including the Palm Springs Air Museum, which has been regarded by CNN as one of the top 14 Air Museums in the world.
- Tours: You can take walking tours that are a unique blend of adventure and learning. Also offered are a City and Celebrity Home Tour,a Beer Tasting Tour and the all adventurous Hiking Tours.
- Shopping and Eating: Numerous hotels and restaurants cater to tourists, while shoppers can find a variety of high-end boutiques in downtown and uptown Palm Springs.
- Golf:With more golf courses than any other region in California, Coachella Valley and especially Palm Springs is the most popular golf vacation destination in California. Time to awaken the Tiger Woods in you!
- Diversity: If you’re looking for a bit of diversity not found anywhere else, Palm Springs also, famously or notoriously (depending on you), has one of the highest concentrations of same-sex couples of any community in the US. You could also witness their weddings being held at the iconic ‘Forever Marilyn’ statue.
So if you’re looking forward to spending a classy vacation in a desert climate while also hoping to run into some of your favorite Hollywood celebrities, Palm Springs is where you should be springing to!