Located north of Islamabad on Karakoram Highway is the beautiful city of Abbottabad. Considered as one of Pakistan’s most beautiful cities, Abbottabad lays between hills and is home to a number of renowned educational institutes, military concerns and boasts a wonderful climate.
Owing to its location amongst the gorgeous Sarban hills, Abbottabad calls for a fascinating visit from its visitors who get to enjoy its breathtaking beauty.
The city is a major transit point to all major tourist regions of Pakistan such as Ayubia, Nathiagali and Naran. It is an attraction to thousands of tourists going as far back as the colonial era. The city is welcome havens for visitors who get to enjoy its clean and pretty surroundings, pleasant climate, lush green mountains and wonderful mountain air.
A look at some of the places of interest to the region:
- Ayubia National Park which is surrounded by seven major villages and four small towns. It encompasses approximately 8,184 acres of land with approximately 104 species of plants, 203 species of birds and 31 species of mammals. It is a great location for a bit of picnicking amidst beautiful nature and is also a wonderful spot to ride and hike. Also available is a chairlift to the breathtaking views of the mountains.
- Bara Gari which is one of the mountain resort towns of Ayubia National Park and the Galyat
- Dunga Galia mountain resort town with spectacular views.
- Khaira Gali, another tourist mountain resort town, famous for the hexagon manor on the highest elevation of the town. It is also blessed with spectacular views of the mountain and its surroundings. Historically, the hill station of Khaira Gali was used as a barricade by the British during the colonial period.
- Nathia Gali, a mountain resort town with its beautiful greenery of cedar, pine, oak walnut, in addition to oak and maple trees. This popular tourist resort in the summer months provides for breathtaking views of gorgeous surroundings with a wonderful collection of birds, insects, butterflies and other animals. It is also home to the Rhesus monkeys, with their pink faces set in brown or grey fur, and their estimated ability to consume approximately 9 different plant species in 46 families.
- Shimla Hill with its gorgeous surroundings.
- Thandiani with its snow-covered vistas and hills in the winter months, lush greenery in the summer months and a wonderful weather. You get to enjoy striking sceneries as you hike through the forests and surroundings.
- Illyasi Mosque which is a striking Mosque with a complex of spring-fed bathhouses and pools, in addition to the basic tea shops that can be found near a small bazaar.
A further thrust into the limelight for the city is the fact that it was Osama bin Laden’s hideout. A number of visitors make their way to his compound while in the area.